Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Jim and the Grapefruit Soda Beer

I spent a day buying stuff and whatnot.  When you have to buy tons of essentials, you're bound to forget a few.  Fortunately, one of those few was not my passport.  If that happened again, I would probably go postal (by not saying 'sumimasen' every 10 seconds).

My grasp of the Japanese language is about as good as the leastest thing ever.

So I caught a bus to the city hall to get copies of a paper I had... with these copies, I can supposedly open a bank account and get a cell phone.  I went there, and the dude totally just put those thinly sliced trees into a copy machine.  Wow.  Even dumber was that those were not the documents I needed... I needed an entirely new document, which I had to go back to the city ward for the following day (which I did).  Though it sounds like it, I'm not really griping.  Nothing has bothered me so far, except for the severe lack of snow.  I mean it.  C'mon Japan.

I spent a good hour in the cell phone place (SoftBank), playing charades with a very nice employee.  We both lost, but I had fun.  Oh, I also spent an hour at karaoke, and half an hour trying to explain to a karaoke employee that the swastika she drew on her wrist meant BAD.  She may hate non-Aryans, but she at least put up with me.  OH btw karaoke has like every Japanese song ever.  Man.  I sang them all.

Some dude named Jim totally vandalized my front door by taping a note to it that read something like: "it's hot in here so let's chill lol room 415."  Just paraphrasing.  He lives in the same building as me.  We hung out a bit and he answered tons of questions as we walked around.  We went to the 'Walmart' and he showed me an alcoholic beverage that's like soda.  I thought mine was lemon, but it was definitely not.  Lemons are not shaped like and do not taste like grapefruit, usually.  In Japan, maybe.

All of the above was yesterday, which I didn't blog.  Today...

I went to the city area to try to get a phone (Harajuku), since the Softbank place in the main city has English-speaking employees.  Like I mentioned before, it turned out that I didn't have the right paperwork, but I was able to talk through a plan with one of the dudes there.  I also asked a random dude about where this one bookstore was (6 floors of books), and he took me there since he was headed in that direction (across two train stops to Shinjuku) anyway.  Hiro is my hero.

I bought a fuggin dictionary.  Awwwwww yeah.  Lemme look up some words for you:

anata (you)
hairikoumu (penetrate / enter)
penisu (penis)
chikara (power)
chusho-teki (derogatory)
shiri (butt)
chitsu (vagina)

I can now communicate with all Japanese.

Harajuku was interesting, and there was some interesting fashion going on.  I didn't go to the coolest spot I suspect, but there was still a lot of cool stuff.  I have pictures, but currently no capability to upload them to this blog.  JUST KIDDING I just don't want to show you losers.

Anyway, I took the bus (like I mentioned before) to the city ward and got the stupid paper I needed.  Went back to the local Softbank and played more charades (we won!) to get a phone.  Sigh, it's an iPhone, but whatever.  I don't care for smartphones or anything, but I just said "watevs" and got it.  STOP!  hipster time.  OH OH OH OHH OHH OHHH OH OH OH  that was from an MC Hammer song, but you've probably never heard of it.

3 comments:

  1. Oh man we need to trade. You can have my iphone. sick saitama sick...english speaking softbanks...hiro's starring jet li and jim carrey maskings asking you to P A R T why? because you gotttttttta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah those alcoholic sodas are pro. Second day in Kyoto, my friend and I stopped at a convenient store, some off-the-wall one not that it mattered, but most were lawson and 7 and i holdings; anyway, I get a cold Boss coffee and a veal cutlet sandwich with the crust cut off, and my friend gets what seems to be a can of innocent grapefruit soda. About 3/4 of the way down the can he realizes there is alcohol in it and he is buzzed. Lucky for me, there was a vending machine with beer near-by, so I was able to "catch up to him" before heading on our way to Kiyomizudera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah, innocent. Unlikely! I might go to work on some of those innocents tonight. And 100k yen on CDs? Argh, I have a ways to go. That's pretty ridiculous -- even more expensive might be the space it takes to store all of them. :P Still have them all?

    ReplyDelete