Friday, June 17, 2011

The day and nightlife of the day and night walker.

Agent Marque reporting in.  Debriefing operation New Life Nihon, day 2.

I lost my damn passport.  ...but someone turned it into the police so I love it.  :>  Close call, I would have been unable to work here without a visa and all, so some of you might have seen me sooner than I'd have liked.  Yeah, I said it.  Naw, I lie lol.

To take a couple steps back, I woke up and rode a bike solo.  I took a video:


Two references I make in the above video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaIvk1cSyG8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4NPRBC6efU&feature=related

After biking around, I went to the drug store to get Pete some... drugs.  He's been feeling under the weather lately, and I'm getting pretty sick of him coughing everywhere LOL GET IT SICK OF HIM COUGHING so I got some kinda time release capsule cold medicine to try on him.  I think it's working, if its intended use is to have no effect on cold symptoms.

I'm pretty sure this is what happened to Pete.
Following the drug store, I went to a big Wal-Mart-type place.  I ate:

Taiyaki, a tasty snack that tasted like Eggo waffles with maple syrup.  In reality, it's like... an Eggo waffle that's shaped like a fish, and filled with anko (sweet red bean paste).  There are different kinds of Taiyaki, but whatever.  Hey, if you've got a problem with the fact checking on this blog, go poop yourself.

Chicken Katsu.  It wasn't a full meal, but it came with a free piece of paper with cool symbols on it.  That 250 yen part of it is probably what this cost, which is about $3.  To put things in perspective, you can buy 3 items from the dollar store in the US with $3.
Due to my impressive sense of direction, I rode around for about an hour looking for Pete's place.  If there's one thing I've learned about navigation from my time in Japan, it's lol

So then I realized I lost my passport, and rode all around some more to look for it.  Stuff happened, and Passport-san was acquired.  Pete and I rode around to places.

The University of Michigan has a branch out here, complete with a Basketcycling Tennis Field.  As you can see, Pete is going for the hookserve shot for the extra inning value point.

Japan has water too.

When there are cement cubes, I will stick my leg out like martial arts style.

Hikone is safe thanks to this man.  Kind of a dork.

Nope the princess wasn't here either Mario lol

some trees and stuf lol

Oya this was earlier in the day... wafer + ice cream + chocolate, was delicious!
Crazy Hummer.  I wish someone would give me a crazy hummer like this DOUBLE ENTENDRE MINNA-SAN (everyone-san)!!
So the above picture is a part of the nightlife Pete and I experienced.  We went to Nagoya and fuggin paid a ton in train lucre.  Total, the round trip cost over 6000 yen per person.  That's like $75 per person.  To put things in perspective, you can buy 75 things at the dollar store with $75 in the US.

We went to some bar place with 4 levels called iD bar.  I had to show my ID to get in.  I got the TSA treatment because I look particularly threatening, and Pete got it too by association.  I'll work on looking less menacing in the future, maybe by buying a V for Vendetta mask.  The cover was 3000 yen (OK LOOK JUST DIVIDE BY 80 TO GET THE DOLLAR AMOUNT.. about $37), but it came with 4 drink coupons which is pretty fair -- not to mention tipping isn't done in Japan.  The place was neat.  We went to the bar Yukari works at... whatever it's called, and chilled there for a bit.  No cover woo woo.  Yukari's nice.  Pete and I left and slept on a park bench for a while, until Yukari called Pete because she got off of work (2 AM).  We then went to ANOTHER bar and hung out there, at which point we probably went to ANOTHER bar and hung out, but not before we had gone to ANOTHER bar to hang out.  It was fun.  A few observations:

-Lots of these bars are just one small room.
-"Aw man, not more Nigerians!"  They may not be long lost prince relatives or even Nigerian, but there are a lot of African dudes.  At least one of them is named Kriss and he owns a bar.
-Foreigners are kind of poops.  So many of them are pretty forceful and persistent in trying to get girls, to the point where they're grabbing at them like all the time.  We're talking tug-of-war here.  There was a sign in the bathroom at iD bar that said that if you try to pick up girls forcefully by grabbing their arms and stuff, you'll get kicked out.  I lol'd at this at first, but then I saw this happen all night across multiple bars.  The Japanese girl strategy against this?  Play dead.  Don't resist.
-Sweet, Japanese music in clubs!  Funny, cause they sound a lot like:  "I NO U WAN ME... U NO I WANTCHU... I NO U WAN MEEEE... U NO I WANTCHU.... ONE TWO THREE FOUR UNO DOS TRES QUATRO" and "CAUSE BABY TONIGHTTTTT DJ GOT US FALLIN IN LOVE AGAINNN" and "SOMEBODY CALL 911 (HEY!) SHAWTY FIRE BURNIN ON THE DANCE FLOOR"  This was EVERY bar we went to.
-These girls are crazy.  We were out at bars until the break of break of dawn.  I mean we left Pete's place at 8 PM or something, and got back at 11:30 AM.  How do they do it?

After a long time of shifting my weight back and forth from foot to foot to give my best impression of seaweed in the ocean swaying to Gaga and Jason DeRULOOOO I left for a little bit to get some curry.  No pictures for this one, but if you close your eyes and imagine really hard, then you're probably wasting your time and should get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment