Saturday, July 30, 2011

I want money, lots and lots of money

So summer vacation is coming up, and it's like... Two weeks of time off. Pretty pro, though I don't have any big plans (or money to finance them), except climbing Mt. Fuji, hanging with peeps, and maybe going to Tokyo Disneyland. This is probably a good time to look for a band.

Money-wise, stuff sucks a little... But it's doable. I tried to avoid the loan my company offers, but I decided to take them up on. Without the loan, I'd have about $120 to last for 12 days. Doesn't sound too bad, except that 5 of those days are workdays, which means it will mean I lose about $60 in transportation. :)

$60 for 12 days worth of food can work... $5 a day? Sure! I would put this microwave to good use.

The way it worked out was that I haven't gotten paid since I've been in Japan, and I will have spent a bit more than $400 in work transportation alone (it gets reimbursed). Combine that with security deposit/rent/utilities paid through 2 months, then that's about a billion dollars (rent is about $700 a month for a one-room apartment).

My advice to anyone looking to teach English in Japan: bring lots of money and don't have any fun til you get paid. I haven't spent much on fun... Total (transportation included... Train, that is), $1k or less. So yeah, bring like $6k to be safe.

To account for the typos in this post, I will add: blogged from my iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment